Excellent blog post written by Glen Cochrane re: OER and authentic language learning materials for listening practice.
Here’s a post for this month’s ELTresearch blog carnival on Listening – for info click here.
I chose this article, involving listening, because it brings up the issue of Open Educational Resources (OERs) that I find interesting and important. However, the article doesn’t quite get into the OER topic as much as I thought it would. I’ll provide a short summary of the article (in note form) and then some comments and suggestions of my own.
Podcasts and audio files have become popular in Language Learning (LL) because
- Decreased cost (of internet, mobility, etc)
- Increased access to content
- Podcasts are good source of authentic language
Discussion arose out of designing a “Listening for Scientists” course for University level LLs
- Students were weak in listening
- Students has little time
- No commercial material for specific content needs
- Authentic materials…
View original post 677 more words